The Port of Belawan was built in 1890 to move tobacco between the railway and ocean-going vessels. In 1907, a new section was created in the Port of Belawan for native and Chinese traders, and the original port was used for foreign shipping. Cargoes expanded in the early 20th Century when plantations in northern Sumatra began to export palm oil and rubber. During the 1920s, new berthing facilities were constructed for the Port of Belawan.
By 1938, the Port of Belawan was the Dutch East Indies’ largest port. After Indonesian independence in the 1940s, cargo volumes dropped significantly. The Port of Belawan did not reach its colonial cargo traffic until the 1960s.
In 1985, the Port of Belawan undertook a restructuring and the establishment of a new container terminal that was quickly handling a fifth of all containerized exports from Indonesia. Those exports include rubber, tea, palm oil, and coffee.
The port authority for the Port of Belawan is managed by the Port of Indonesia Corporate I.
In 2006, the Port of Belawan handled 6.7 million tons of cargo, including 4.5 million tons of exports and 2.2 million tons of imports. Leading exports included petroleum (3.1 million tons), palm oil (499.5 thousand tons), vegetable products (338.8 thousand tons), and other cargoes (406.7 thousand tons). Leading imports included general cargoes (1.3 million tons), loose fertilizer (315.1 thousand tons), bagged fertilizer (252.3 thousand tons), and iron (120.8 thousand tons).
Facilities at the Port of Belawan include four major wharves: Belawan Lama (688.7 meters long), Ujung Baru (1555.8 meters long), the ferry wharf (115.0 meters long), the Citra wharf (635.0 meters long), and the IKD wharf (150.0 meters long).
Belawan Lama at the Port of Belawan contains storage and handling facilities of 5.0 thousand square meters of covered space and 11.5 thousand square meters of open yards. Ujung Baru contains 38.5 thousand square meters of covered space and 19.2 thousand square meters of open yards, and Ujung Baru Lini II also has 1.5 thousand square meters of covered space. The Citra wharf contains 16.8 thousand square meters of covered space and 25.2 thousand square meters of open yards. The IKD wharf has 9.4 thousand square meters of open yard. CFS 3 offers 7.0 thousand square meters of covered space. Gudang Terbuk offers 1.9 thousand square meters of covered space, and CY has 64.9 thousand square meters of open yards.
The Port of Belawan’s Ferry Terminal at Luar Negeri, for outgoing traffic, covers 539 square meters and has capacity for 720 people on one trip. The Dalam Negeri for incoming traffic covers 2.3 thousand square meters and has capacity for 2.2 thousand people.
The Port of Belawan is about 19 kilometers from the City of Medan, the gateway to the region of Lake Toba. Medan is a popular tourist destination in the region. Medan is Sumatra’s largest city and Indonesia’s fourth largest. In addition to the Port of Belawan, Medan is also served by an international airport. Its attractions include the largest mosque in Sumatra and the palace of the Sultan of Deli.
Port of Belawan
Jalan Sumatera No. 1
Belawan, Sumatera Utara 20411
Phone: 061 6941919
Fax: 061 6941300